Hippotat (IP over HTTP) 1.1.7

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jan 12 19:29:39 GMT 2023

I'm pleased to announce Hippotat 1.1.7.

This is the latest release of my IP-over-HTTP system.

Summary of changes since the last publicly *announced* release:

 * New "hippotat-setup-permissions" script for helping set up
   userv-utils ipif, and authbind.

 * Improvment to the --print-config option, now known to hippotatd too.
 * Improved error message about failure to initialise syslog.
 * Improved error reporting of ipif failures (and debug loggong).

 * Packaging and build system and installation instruction improvements.

 * Much work to try to get automatic tests working in Debian CI.
   Sadly this was not successful, but I do have local automatic tests.

hippotat is now in Debian unstable, and (barring upheavals in Debian's
Rust packages) I think it will be in the next release, bookworm.

There are full documentation and installation instructions:
  https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ianmdlvl/hippotat/current/docs/

hippotat source, for building, can be obtained from Debian Salsa
  https://salsa.debian.org/iwj/hippotat
(look for the signed tag hippotat-1.1.7).

The Rust code for building the executables is also available via
the upstream Rust packaging system crates.io, as the package `hippotat`,
for those who like that kind of thing.

Binaries will be available from Debian in due course.

hippotat (1.1.7) unstable; urgency=medium

  Build system:
  * Makefile; Install the hippotat-setup-permissions(8)
    manpage to the right place.  (Bug introduced in 1.1.6.)
  * debian: ship the hippotat-setup-permissions(8) manpage.
  * init script: Demote userv and $syslog to Should-Start.
  * Update dependencies in provided Cargo.lock.

  Changes specifically for uploading to Debian:
  * debian/update-build-deps: support replacement (override)
  * Declare that we need clap 3, with +derive
  * Run dh_missing --fail-missing (for QA test)
  * Change source format to 1.0 (native) so we can have a revision

 -- Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>  Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:50:36 +0000

hippotat (1.1.6) unstable; urgency=medium

  Improvements:
  * New script hippotat-setup-permissions to help with authbind and ipif.
  * Config inspection command options --print-config improved.

  Documentation:
  * install.md: Say to get hippotat from your distro.
  * install.md: Say to do the hippotat config first
  * install.md: Document new setup script (which also has manpage)
  * settings.md &c: Explain how to set up server with TLS (not built-in).

  Testing and administrivia:
  * Many improvements to the autopkgtests.
  * However, disable the autopkgtests as they still don't work.
  * Improve release checklist.
  * cargo update (and add a note about base64 version).
  * Changelog entries for Debian-only 1.1.5+exp1 to 1.1.5+exp7 deleted.

 -- Ian Jackson <ian at zealot.relativity.greenend.org.uk>  Wed, 11 Jan 2023 02:15:01 +0000

hippotat (1.1.4) unstable; urgency=medium

  Bugfixes:
  * Improved error message about failure to initialise syslog.
  * Improved error reporting of ipif failures (and debug loggong).
  * Fix build on platforms with unsigned chars.
    Closes: #1028028.  [Reported by Adrian Bunk]

  Packaging improvements:
  * Add empty /etc/hippotat/config.d (to hippotat-common).
  * init script: Print better error message about firewall.
  * debian/control: Add Homepage and Vcs-Git.  [Reported by Axel Beckert]
  * debian/control: Add many missing Recommends.
  * LICENCE aka d/copyright improvements.  [Requested by Debian ftpmaster]
  * Makefile: Fixes to release checklist

  Testing:
  * Add autopkgtest that tests a full-on setup, with two simulated hosts.
  * Add autopkgtest that tests the init script.
  * Supporting fixes and refactoring.

  * Debian-only release, for exposure to Debian infrastructure.

 -- Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>  Sun, 08 Jan 2023 17:09:33 +0000

hippotat (1.1.3) unstable; urgency=medium

  Packaging and build improvements:
  * Change `cargo-upstream` build-profile to `upstream-cargo`
    as per debian-devel discussion.
  * Add link to ITP bug, here: Closes:#1025898.
  * Updated dependencies.

  Burned version numbers:
  * Burned 1.1.2 due to Debian #943374.

 -- Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>  Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:35:43 +0000

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.