Initial questions

Theo Markettos theom+rotex at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 21:30:38 GMT 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:11:09PM +0000, David R Lane wrote:
> I have had a look at the Latex software and have managed to get a DVI
> file from a text file input and viewed the DVI output in DVIview.
>
> I have version 3.1 of armTeX, version 1.03 of DVIview and version 1.30
> of TeXFonts all of November 2004.
>
> Are there later versions of any of these and, if so, where?

Those sound fairly recent to me.  I don't think anything has happened to TeX
on RISC OS since then.  I did have a go at cross-compiling tetex, but it
turned into a hugely complex project because the build system wasn't
amenable.  TeXLive (its replacement) may be more amenable, I haven't tried it.

> The riscos-tex Archives at 'chiark.greenend' are empty. Are past posts
> to the email list somewhere else?

The server had a backup failure in the summer, so I'm afraid they're gone.
The list has been effectively dead for some years.

> The "Edit paper sizes ...." item on the iconbar menu of DVIview seems
> stuck on size A2, setting other sizes is not retained. Also the A4
> width and height are incorrect, giving the same figures as for A2.

Pass, I don't know anything about DVIview.

> When I double click on my Latex directory with all the software in it,
> including !TeXFonts, I get an error message titled
> Run ADFS::HardDisc4.$........Latex.!TeXFonts.!Boot
> and saying
> "Repeat: Font prefix is not a path.
> Press SPACE or click mouse to continue."
> After clicking this away, the filer window of the directory appears
> and I can proceed. Is this to be expected?

!TeXFonts.!Boot is running all the !Install scripts in
!TeXFonts.Packages.!<something>.!Install

Something is going wrong on one of them, but it's difficult to tell which
one.  You could try moving some out of the way and seeing which it is.  I
think one of the FontInstall lines in one of them is the problem.

> Finally, to produce the DVI file I use command line, but would like to
> be able to use the WIMP as it claims you can in the help inside !TeX.
> The directions in this readMe don't work for me.

You should be able to double click a (La)TeX file to process to DVI, though
it's been ages since I tried this.  What happened?

Theo