[Debian-uk] UK DSL _modem_ recommendation

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Fri Aug 12 21:32:09 BST 2016

On Friday 12 August 2016 at 12:52:40 +0100, Antony McLellan wrote:
> With my Draytek Vigor 120 dead the question is, what else can I choose from?
> So far I have discovered:
>
>  * Motorola Netopia 2210 DSL Modem
>  * Netgear DM 111P V2 Ethernet ADSL 2+ Modem
>  * D-link-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem
>  * Zyxel P-660M ADSL2+ Modem
>  * TP-Link TD 8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem

Based on Steve's response in
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/pipermail/debian-uk/2013-August/000202.html
I tested successfully with a Zyxel router. Once I knew it would work I
bought a DSL-320b so I could use the router as a WiFi AP.

According to Andrews & Arnold the DSL-320b can do "baby jumbo" frames. I've
never had any luck making them work though, so I'm running with a reduced
MTU and MSS clamping.

HTH.

Mike.