[Debian-uk] Dropping Cambridge bid for 2017

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:25:38 GMT 2015

>>> If student accommodation is vacant in the summer months it might be
>>> affordable.
>>
>> Student accommodation in Cambridge is typically full during the summer
>> months - there are a large number of summer schools and Cambridge
>> colleges make significant proportions of their income from those
>> schools. The reputation of the university only feeds the demand which
>> makes the costs much higher than other university towns. Proximity to
>> London also has an impact on the base cost of general accommodation. It
>> was always going to be one of the more difficult parts of the Cambridge
>> bid and has been under constant evaluation, especially whether any of
>> the student accommodation could be made affordable by using personal
>> relationships between the many DD's who were educated here. A lot of
>> work has already gone into the problem of accommodation in Cambridge
>> for the bid.
>

> Collage accommodation might be possible (Anglia Ruskin for example but as
> Sledge found out they don't look that far ahead in time 2016 would be
> possible but 2017 is just too far out for them).

One that I know, Hinxton Hall, would probably be quite nice as a venue
in general.... but I guess that only less than half the size as
needed, quite far away from Cambridge itself (specially with very bad
public transport options).  I suspect that would be quite
posh/expensive as well.

http://conferencecentre.wellcomegenomecampus.org/#&panel1-1

There are other biggish hotels outside, e.g. by Wittlesford Parkway
(train station), but I don't know if they have meeting rooms, it would
be uninspiring and far from Cambridge itself, and the commuting
options to the conference rooms would be bad unless it was very close
to the train station.

I don't have any contacts or even much knowledge about the college accomodation.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>