[Debian-uk] UK DSL _modem_ recommendation

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Fri Aug 16 10:56:56 BST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:47:53PM +0100, Mike Crowe wrote:
>I've run my Debian box as a NAT router connected to my ADSL connection
>for many years. To do this well so that a network interface on the box
>gets the public IP address from my ISP I've used a D-Link DSL-300G
>ADSL1 Ethernet modem then a Speedtouch USB ADSL1 modem and more
>recently a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL2+ modem.
>
>Unfortunately I've had two of the Vigor 120s fail for me after less
>than a year each. Now it's out of warranty Draytek aren't interested
>so I'm looking at alternatives.
>
>It looks like many ADSL routers support bridge modes but from what I
>can tell (and this is why I'm posting to debian-uk) these modes are
>useless in the UK because we use PPPoA rather than PPPoE and unlike
>the Vigor 120 they don't translate between the two.
>
>I can't believe I'm the only person trying to do this. What does
>everyone else use?

Hi Mike,

I've been using a wide variety of cheap and cheerful ADSL
modem/routers in bridged mode for years, terminating the PPP session
as PPPoE on my firewall/router box. I've never had any issues this
way, and it means I can simply swap in a new ADSL modem with minimal
setup as/when needed. My experience has been that consumer-level ADSL
kit is cheap and nasty, even when you pay over the odds. So I'm happy
to reduce my reliance on such devices to simple translation.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.