[Debian-uk] UK DSL _modem_ recommendation

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Thu Aug 15 21:44:10 BST 2013

On Thursday 15 August 2013 at 21:27:17 +0100, Edward Allcutt wrote:
> I use a ZyXEL P-660R-D1 in RFC1483 Bridge mode (whatever that is).
> It's used on a BT 21CN line although I know the same model also
> works in bridge mode on Be lines (why may use the other
> encapsulation? not sure).

I believe I'm on a 21CN line from Eclipse so that sounds promising.

> It was supplied by my ISP and works fine as a bridge modem without
> any intervention for nearly three years. The only wrinkle is that it
> doesn't support "baby jumbo" frames which allow using PPPoE with an
> MTU of 1500 for encapsulated frames. AAISP seem to recommend a
> "DLINK DSL-320B" for that use-case.

Eclipse sent me a Zyxel AMG1202-T10A which claims to do RFC1483 bridge
mode so perhaps I'll do some experiments.

On Thursday 15 August 2013 at 21:53:48 +0200, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> It's probably worth checking with your ISP, but I believe that
> nearly all lines now support PPPOE directly. I certainly had no
> trouble with the A&A-supplied ZyXEL P660R with a BT 21CN line (I now
> use an openreach supplied VDSL modem on the A&A FTTC service).

I asked Eclipse what they recommend and they suggested using two IP
addresses and disabling NAT on the router. This sounded like it would
work too and it apparently wouldn't cost me any more but it would mean
changing IP addresses and more reconfiguration so I would prefer to
just stick with one.

Thanks to both of you for your swift replies.

Mike.