[Debian-uk] Debconf return train booking via Zagreb and Munich

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon May 2 15:55:24 BST 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:21:51 +0100, Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Philip Hands writes ("Re: [Debian-uk] Debconf return train booking via Zagreb and Munich"):
> > BTW were you relying on having a BahnCard for that price at all?
> > (I was just wondering whether it's worth getting one before going on a
> > spending spree)
>
> I looked into that a couple of months ago and it seems only available
> to residents of Germany.

I can do a German address probably, and am going to Germany on Tuesday
afternoon anyway, so will see if there's any saving to be made (probably
while booking in person at a station).

> > On Sun, 1 May 2011 00:55:57 +0100, Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > My plan will be rather more expensive.  Feel free to book that if you
> > > prefer.
> >
> > Well, the convenience of travelling in a pack and getting home earlier
> > may well be worth the extra by that time in the journey, so I'd be
> > interested in knowing the price.
>
> I have just booked myself the following connection:
>
>   Munich hbf			0650		wg.28 pl.61
>   Frankfurt hbf		1004	1016		wg.38 pl.61
>   Brussels midi		1335	1429		wg.11 pl.25
>   London St Pancras	1526

Ah, great timings -- and with the bonus that we don't need to switch
stations, as would be the case if going via Paris.

> I got a 1st class saver ticket for Eur122.50 including reservation
> fee.  Reserved seating on the ICE is reasonably relaxed, but if you
> want to join me on the Eurostar with this ticket we may have to phone
> up to get the seating changed.

OK -- that's really helpful, thanks.

I will attempt to get on the same trains.  It also points at the
possibility of a decent price being available for my outbound leg (which
I've not yet booked either).

Cheers, Phil.