Packaging openrc services in Debian/Devuan

Tom wirelessduck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:10:49 BST 2026


Hi,

I'm attempting to package an openrc init script and conf.d for openbao 
for my personal use.  The /etc/init.d/openbao script and 
/etc/conf.d/openbao are already developed by Alpine linux[0] so I don't 
need to be concerned with writing those.

I would like to know if there are any guidelines available for the 
packaging configuration of these two files.

Can I use dh_installinit for openrc-run init scripts? I'm guessing it 
would not yet support /etc/conf.d files?

Is openrc supported by update-rc.d and invoke-rc.d? I saw that policy 
mentions using update-rc.d for enabling autostarting of the daemon.[1]

Alternatively without any debhelper utility, is it sufficient to add the 
files into debian/package.install and call rc-update add/del in 
postinst/prerm?

Is there any policy regarding whether a package should start/stop the 
service upon package install/remove/purge with `rc-service <service> 
start/stop` if we are not using update-rc.d?

Do the files still go into /etc/init.d/ and /etc/conf.d/? I noticed 
openrc 0.64 was released upstream recently and wasn't sure if there was 
any change in preferred file paths for Debian.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

-- 
Tom


[0] 
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/tree/master/community/openbao
[1] 
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#managing-the-links



More information about the Debian-init-diversity mailing list