Proof of Concept - 'init-diversity' spins of Debian based distros

prowler_gr at yahoo.gr prowler_gr at yahoo.gr
Mon Mar 11 22:56:09 GMT 2024

One more thing I must mention is that the posted 'init-diversity' iso's for both antiX & MX are “developers" images:
- they have all the tools & libraries to compile all of the packages in the s6-experimental repo that I control.
- apt source & debuild will allow you to rebuild all s6-experimental repo packages using the iso.

I would like to encourage any interested devs that would like to incorporate s6-rc & s6-66 to other derivative distro's or "pet" projects, to fork & modify to suit their needs.

sources.list lines to add my repo as follows:

deb http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/ experimental-s6 antix-s6
deb-src http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/ experimental-s6 antix-s6

ProwlerGr

Στις Δευτέρα 11 Μαρτίου 2024 στις 08:51:09 μ.μ. GMT+11, ο χρήστης prowler_gr at yahoo.gr <prowler_gr at yahoo.gr> έγραψε:

Only a few (select) debian packages have s6-rc init scripts or s6-66 service frontend (unit) files available in these spins.

There was an (earlier) s6-rc only Devuan spin I put together based on Gnuinos just to demonstrate how easy it is to have a fully functional plasma system with just a handfull of services ported from other distros (such as Artix) & a few written from scratch without any reliance on either sysvinit scripts or systemd units.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46467#p46467

I guess packaging s6 services & defining service dependencies is where the work from the individual distros will be required as all distro's would have a different collection of software & combinations they would support.

A good read in regards to 66 service files can be found here (attention to section “A word about the @execute key”)
https://web.obarun.org/software/66/latest/66-frontend.html

As I read this you could pretty much use a sysvinit script, a bash script to resolve a systemd file, or a simple execline command.

s6-rc is very similar
https://skarnet.org/software/s6/servicedir.html

There have been talks about the creation of a tool that parses systemd service unit files & converts them to s6 ones, but I understand it won’t happen any time soon:
https://skarnet.org/software/s6/unit-conversion.html

I hope this helps
ProwlerGr

Στις Δευτέρα 11 Μαρτίου 2024 στις 05:41:41 μ.μ. GMT+11, ο χρήστης tito <farmatito at tiscali.it> έγραψε:

Hi,

This is great news! Thanks for the good work!
Just one question, on the devuan forums we talked a lot  about debian's slow removal of sysvinit scripts
and try to figure out a solution (e.g. the orphan-sysvinit-scripts package) so did you write s6 init scripts
for all debian service packages or do you use systemd units ?

Ciao,
Tito