interface down after resuming from standby, Network Manager loosing Ethernet connection

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Apr 15 18:07:50 BST 2024

Martin Steigerwald - 15.04.24, 18:46:06 CEST:
> > Trying to fix the path issue manually now:
> >
> > […]/lib/udev# grep -ir elogind-uaccess-command
> > rules.d/73-seat-late.rules:TAG=="uaccess", ENV{MAJOR}!="",
> > RUN{program}
> > +="libexec/elogind-uaccess-command %N $env{ID_SEAT}"
> >
> > Changed path to absolute path "/usr/libexec/elogind-uaccess-command"
> > in
> > there.
>
> Error message is gone from dmesg. Unfortunately the network issue is
> still there. Link looks like this after resuming from standby:
>
> % ip link sh en1
> 3: en1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_pie state DOWN mode
> DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
>
> (I renamed link via udev rule)
>
> And I found this in dmesg on boot:
>
> [   33.115650] elogind-daemon[2616]: Failed to connect to system bus: No
> such file or directory [   33.116364] elogind-daemon[2616]: Failed to
> fully start up daemon: No such file or directory
>
> Could this also be some file related issue? I did not find anything so
> far.

Okay, I got the dmesg fixed by fixing reinstating /etc/sv/elogind and the
/etc/service symbolic link to it after fixing up the path in ".meta/bin"
and "run". The run script makes sure dbus is started first :)

Still the network is down after resume from standby.

There is a slight improvement in the steps to recover it:

Martin Steigerwald - 15.04.24, 18:33:02 CEST:
> What currently kind of works for me is:
>
> 1) "ip link set LINK up" on the link
>
> 2) Terminate the Network Manager process so runit starts a new one.
>
> 3) killall plasmashell ; plasmashell
>
> 4) Reconnect via Network Manager applet.

Step 4 is not necessary anymore. Network Manager automatically reconnects.

But still I wonder why the link not brought up again after resuming?

Best,
--
Martin