What about services that only have systemd service files

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Mar 4 16:37:17 GMT 2023

Hi!

I am using runit with runit-services on my system. It works well. Thanks
Lorenzo for your work on runit-services.

I just came across two packages that probably never had anything else
than a systemd service file. zcfan as well as wireplumber previously
discussed here.

What would be the best approach about these? I ponder about the
following approaches

1) Asking the package maintainer to include an init script or runit
service dir. Of course it would be best to provide one with the bug
report. May or may not work.

2) Adding an init script to orphan-sysvinit-scripts. However if there
never was an init script for it, how could it be orphan? Adding support
for the service in runit-services.

3) Research translating at least basic systemd service files into
something that works for non systemd services.

What do you think is best?

Way of least resistance might be providing init scripts and/or runit
services files or OpenRC configurations by ourselves? What would be a good
and standardized approach for that?

Any ideas?

Once since become calmer again I may search / provide some runit
configuration for zcfan and wireplumber.

Best,
--
Martin