Upgrade Bullseye to Bookworm, and getting of rid of systemd?

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Thu Jun 22 22:21:04 BST 2023

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 11:03:46PM +0200, lorenzo wrote:

> > I've noticed painfully long hangs with it, so I nuke it as soon as I
> > can. It's just pain-avoidance.
> >
> This was already reported in 2019 [1,2], claimed to be fixed but I guess
> it was not, or it's a regression..

To be fair, it was one-shot learning. It doesn't seem to cause issues
removing it early, so I've never had reason to update my procedure, or even
to test if it's still necessary.

Having it be a conflict in the package would potentially save some pain.

(Something else I need to verify is if the LUKS release of ZFS root still
has an issue in Bookworm... And, it does. That said, it's possible the
reason why I see this and others don't is that it might only happen with
ZFS root nowadays, and not MD-RAID or other things atop LUKS. I'll maybe
chase this down in VMs to verify. (If anyone else has LUKS providers time
out on shutdown, the quick workaround is changing skip="n" to skip="y" in
/lib/cryptsetup/cryptdisks-functions.))

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason at blisses.org          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I