get rid of journal on systemd-using systems?

lorenzo plorenzo at disroot.org
Tue Jun 20 10:47:13 BST 2023

Hi,

On Sun, 28 May 2023 19:42:05 +0000 (UTC)
Thorsten Glaser <tg at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> not for me, but someone saw https://serverfault.com/q/832540/189656
> and was asking whether one can run a normal Debian systemd-using
> system without journald,
I think mask + disable + stop the journald service, and unmaks + enable
+start your syslog daemon should do it. But then there is an issue:
if I recall correctly journald catches stdout from services, so you may
loose some output from systemd itself and you loose all logs from a
service if it's called with an option to log to stdout.
I think the vast majority of services are configured to log to /dev/log
anyway.

Lorenzo