[RFC] changes to rsyslog

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Sat Nov 13 21:32:23 GMT 2021

Hi,

we are early in the bookworm release cycle, so I guess it's the perfect
time to bring up this topic. For quite a long time, we defaulted to a
volatile journal in systemd. We finally changed that in bullseye [1].
We still do install rsyslog by default despite this change (due to
rsyslog's priority being important).
As maintainer of both systemd *and* rsyslog this was intentional.
I wanted to have a fallback, should something unexpectedly go wrong.
Now that bullseye has been released for a couple of months, the feedback
has been really positive regarding the persistent journal.

I would thus like to proceed and change the priority of rsyslog from
important to optional, which in turn would mean, it is no longer
installed by default.

The main reason here is, that I want to avoid that log data is stored
twice on disk.

What exactly would this mean going forward:

- Existing systems will continue to have rsyslog installed (but they can
safely uninstall rsyslog)

- Newly installed systems will no longer have rsyslog installed, unless
some other package Depends on either rsyslog | system-log-daemon. But my
recommendation is, that individual packages do not have a
Depends/Recommends: rsyslog | system-log-daemon unless it is really
crucial to their operation. Journald does provide /dev/log and a
syslog() api call will make sure the log message ends up on persistent
storage.

- If you prefer rsyslog on a systemd-based system you can easily install
rsyslog and it will continue to work as-is.

I've CCed the maintainers of sysvinit. They might be interested in
ensuring that if sysvinit is installed, a classic syslog daemon is
installed.

I'm really looking forward to this change.
For one, this will make a default installation leaner. And given that
journald covers the basics well, the rsyslog defaults could be optimized
to better cater for enterprise needs.

Regards,

Michael

[1]