not-systemd status in Bullseye?

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Wed Mar 11 00:28:53 GMT 2020

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020, Axel Beckert wrote:

> > elogind and libpam-elogind are in bullseye, but libpam-elogind-compat is
> > still only in experimental.

What would you need libpam-elogind-compat for?

> I have many sid installations running sysvinit or openrc. No
> critical issues there. Occasionally broken init scripts of some
> non-critical daemons.

Same here, also completely missing init scripts (gpsd, movim, …)
or init scripts but depends on systemd for trivial things like
adding user accounts (tomcat9).

I also run a couple of buster systems with sysvinit, some with
“old-school” stuff (consolekit, policykit-1-without-systemd from
my repo), some with elogind (with some /var/lib/dpkg/status hackery
for the missing | logind dependencies in two packages), even with
network-manager… *shudder* not me is using that.

All no problems.

> > I have a fresh bullseye system that has systemd on (because no option in the

Fresh installations are problematic, both because switching can
be fun (do it in the installer!) and because of UsrBreakerge.

> That's already the case in buster and never was an issue for me:
>
> * Replace systemd-sysv with sysvinit-core (or openrc).
> * Reboot (with systemd still running as init system).
> * Booting will happen with init system of your choice.
> * Purge systemd after reboot.

+1

> > I think it'd be worth asking the installer folk to add an init system choice
> > (even if only in expert mode);
>
> Definitely.

+100, also UsrMerge choice.

bye,