A fresh start (request for comments)

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 16 15:15:39 GMT 2018

On 11/16/18 5:10 AM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> Jesse Smith:
>
>> So none of these locations match up [...]
>>
> On the contrary,  /run and /var/run have matched up since at least
> Debian 7, Fedora 15, and 2011 Arch.  Like the non-functionality of
> /etc/rc.local on Arch that I mentioned elsewhere, this is another thing
> from over 7 years ago.
>
> * https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory
>
> *
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Linux-distributions-to-include-run-directory-1219006.html
>

> *
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2011-March/000517.html
>
> * https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/13972/

I think you misunderstand my point. I'm saying that the documentation
for each of these programs lists different directories for the nologin
check. Yes, /var/run typically points to /run via a symbolic link, but
that just means the programs will probably end up checking the right
file, it's still going to be confusing for anyone reading the documentation.

It also doesn't take into account the problem of manual pages which say
the check should happen in /etc rather than /run. I think either the
documentation is wrong or the patch to change it is wrong, and we should
probably sort these all out so the documentation (and the corresponding
programs) all use the same path.