Please make /etc/rc.local non-executable by default

KatolaZ katolaz at freaknet.org
Thu Nov 15 13:24:32 GMT 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 01:18:34PM +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
>
> > I tend to agree. Dear co-maintainers, do you have objections? Any
>
> I do have an objection — a veto even.
>
> Installation instructions throughout the world say that “add the
> following script lines to /etc/rc.local”. None of them says to
> add the +x bit, and that’s arcane anyway (in BSD, rc.local is
> run even without the +x bit set).
>
> I would be massively surprised if I installed a system, added
> something to rc.local, and it were not run.
>
> So, don’t do that.
>
> bye,

I second the comment by Thorsten. /etc/rc.local is expected to be
executed by rc at the end of each multiuser runlevel. In fact, it is
currently executed inside the do_start function of
/etc/init.d/rc.local (which is linked to from any multiuser
runlevel). Removing the +x bit will break it immediately, and to no
avail.

My2Cents

KatolaZ