pkg-sysvinit-devel mailing list, proposed closure/replacement

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM
Thu Nov 15 10:07:14 GMT 2018

Ian Jackson:

> I am CCing the list pkg-sysvinit-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
> which is currently listed as Maintainer for sysvinit in Debian. I
> think we need to sort out our mailing lists and our repos. As for the
> mailing lists, lists.alioth.debian.org is a transitional arrangement
> following the closure of alioth. It won't last indefinitely and so it
> should be replaced. For primarily social reasons we have created a new
> list debian-init-diversity at chiark.greenend.org.uk and I think that
> would make a good replacement. I therefore propose that we close
> pkg-sysvinit-devel and change the Maintainer field to point to
> debian-init-diversity.

Andreas Henricksson:

> I have to start out by saying I think you've misunderstood this
> gravely. You should probably try to clear your mind and start over on
> trying to understand this.
>
> I'd also like to take the opportunity to fwiw object to the changing
> of mailing list used in the Maintainer field. I happen to know from
> experience that the alioth sysvinit-maintainers has people who have
> deep sysvinit knowledge subscribed. By moving away from that list
> you'll likely lose those people from potentially reading and
> occationally comment on what's going on. Simply retracting into some
> corner of the internet won't be doing the sysvinit package *in*
> *debian* a service. You have everything to win by keeping clueful
> people in the loop. Please feel free to use your other mailing list
> for discussion with your peers, but keep the alioth list for official
> debian business.

It looks like the January 2018 news about lists.alioth.debian.org has
not yet reached everyone.

* https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/01/msg00003.html