Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Peter Maydell pmaydell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 19:29:21 GMT 2018

Mark Hindley wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 08:01:32PM +0100, Andreas Messer wrote:
>> >  ln -s /lib/DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH/security/pam_elogind.so /lib/DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH/security/pam_systemd.so
>>
>> Ah, sorry. So probably you did not enable pam_elogind module? You should
>> not link like that. Modules should be loaded by PAM as defined
>> per config /etc/pam.
>
>AFAICS, it is enabled and appears in the automatic section of common-session.
>
>However, various /etc/pam.d files (runuer-1 and lightdm-greeter on my basic
>install) still reference pam_systemd.so directly or depend libpam-systemd. I
>suspect some of them have pam_systemd.so compiled into them.

So if you hand-hack these PAM files to refer to pam_elogind then
do things work without the symlink? This would at least tell us if
this is all we need to fix in these other packages, or if there are
other places that are using pam_systemd.so directly somehow.

lightdm-greeter seems like a straightforward one (though we probably
need to sort out how to let lightdm say "use whichever of systemd
and elogind is present" somehow -- listing both will work provided
they aren't both installed and you don't mind warnings about
missing files in your auth.log).  I never got round to figuring
out what the runuser-l pam file was for -- does anybody know?

thanks
-- PMM