Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Andreas Messer andi at bastelmap.de
Tue Nov 13 18:29:35 GMT 2018

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 05:58:18PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> KatolaZ writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 02:33:03PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > I think we should have a common branch somewhere which people feel
> > > free to commit to (or send MRs for).  I wasn't sure what branch name I
> > > should use on the Devuan gitlab's main elogind tree so I did not push
> > > this there.
> > >
> > > Could someone from Devuan please make a decree about what branch name
> > > we should be using for this ?  Or, if this is not a sensible thing to
> > > put in the Devuan tree, I will make a `group' and a `project' on Salsa
> > > and push it to `master' there.
> >
> > on Devuan we use suites/unstable for the branch to be built in
> > unstable. However, I guess that for the moment we would build the
> > latest version for experimental (so it would go to
> > suites/experimental). I will lieaise with Mike to make that happen.
>
> Hi.  Thanks for your answer.
>
> Are we intending to have a single branch for Debian and Devuan then ?
> I mean, it would be nice to have a single package with 0 modifications
> but I worry that if we make it impossible to maintain any divergence,
> we may come a croppper.  OTOH maybe any such divergence can be
> maintained as a suite-specific branch for release suites.
>
> TBH I would be tempted to have a single shared branch called simply
> `master' and to hang suite-specific branches (for both Debian and
> Devuan) from that.
>
> If we do that we will probably trip up a bit with conflicting changes
> to debian/changelog and/or Maintainer in debian/control, but I guess
> the mess will be tolerable and we can establish a convention about
> what d/control and d/changelog look like in `master'.

I'd support having a single branch for both. To be honest, i think in
the end the package will be in Debian anyways. I don't see any need
why we want to have an extra package in Devuan then. In the meanwhile,
we can simple use suites/* for maintaining the Devuan suites. May be
we can have suites/devuan/* and suites/debian/* ?

cheers,
Andreas

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51