Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Peter Maydell pmaydell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat Nov 10 23:01:46 GMT 2018

Mark Hindley  <mark at hindley.org.uk> wrote:
>I have been working on a combined Devuan and Debian packaging of elogind.
>
>Starting with Andreas' great work for Devuan I have merged upstream v239.1 and
>cleaned up some of the packaging to make it more suitable for, one day,
>uploading to Debian.

>It builds on both Devuan and Debian and I can boot into xfce4 in a sid VM.
>
>It requires more testing before merging with Devuan. Perhaps those who have seen
>issues with the v234 versions would like to try and see if anything has been
>fixed upstream.
>
>Source is at https://git.devuan.org/LeePen/elogind/tree/debian_WIP

Hi -- I had a go at testing this with Debian buster, building from
your commit 98f0f1042d219289.

Test process:
(1) clean install of a buster (VM) system from the installer (ie a systemd
setup) with no desktop or X packages
(2) update and dist-upgrade to get anything changed since the installer
(3) tried to apt install sysvinit-core but
(4) apt install dbus-x11
 -- this is necessary or trying to install sysvinit-core fails with
 dconf-service : Depends: default-dbus-session-bus or
                          dbus-session-bus
(5) apt install sysvinit-core
(6) reboot
(7) apt remove systemd
(8) build and install the elogind packages:
  elogind_239.1-1+debian1~rc2_amd64.deb
  libelogind0_239.1-1+debian1~rc2_amd64.deb
  libpam-elogind_239.1-1+debian1~rc2_amd64.deb
(9) build and install the dummy package that provides libpam-systemd
from https://git.devuan.org/diziet/libpam-elogind-compat
(10) apt --no-install-recommends install mate-desktop-environment mate-applets
murrine-themes gnome-keyring libaacs0 libcanberra-gtk3-module
libgphoto2-l10n gstreamer1.0-gl gstreamer1.0-plugins-base libgail-common
libgtk2.0-bin usbmuxd  libmtp-runtime upower gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio mate-media mate-system-monitor mate-user-guide atril
desktop-base engrampa eom ffmpegthumbnailer mate-backgrounds  mate-calc
mate-applet-brisk-menu mate-icon-theme-faenza  mate-screensaver mate-utils
pluma menu exfat-utils dosfstools libblockdev-crypto2 ntfs-3g
 -- this is mate-desktop-environment plus pretty much all the 'recommends' that
apt lists, except mate-power-manager, which wants policykit-1
(11) apt install xinit
(12) test startx: works ok. the 'restart' menu option just stops the x
session, but maybe that's intended
(13) apt install lightdm
(14) reboot
(15) lightdm still works as much as it did with my/iwj's earlier elogind
packaging: login and the user session are fine, but the power off/reboot/etc
menu entries at the login screen are all greyed out.

On reboot, I am getting a python exception and backtrace:
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:
Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.login1': no such name
(not clear what from, but it happens as/after lightdm shuts down).

Sorry about providing the error as a screenshot, but I can't
cut-and-paste from virt-viewer and I'm not sure that sysvinit
service shutdown messages get logged anywhere helpful; anyway,
the full backtrace is here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~pmaydell/misc/dbus-python-backtrace.png

thanks
-- PMM