Addressing more sysvinit bugs

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Nov 2 20:03:16 GMT 2018

Dear Jesse, dear KatolaZ.

Thank you very much for your work on sysvinit and Debian bug reports
related to it.

Jesse Smith - 02.11.18, 15:43:
> On 11/2/18 8:05 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 07:24:26PM -0300, Jesse Smith wrote:
> >> Hello gang, I've been gradually making my way through the
> >> init-related issues in the Debuan bug tracker. So far I've gone
> >> through about 50 reports, fixed some, made comments on others as
> >> to whether they can be closed or if it seem the bug could be
> >> better addressed elsewhere. It feels like progress and I'm slowly
> >> running out of patches to apply upstream. :)
> >>
> >> Here is a summary of the last handful of reports I've read and
> >> addressed, or suggested they can be handled in initscripts or
> >> packaging.>
[…]
> > thanks a lot for your valuable work in going through the bug
> > reports,
> > and for actually being able of busting some of them. Just one
> > question: when you mark a bug as "fixed upstream" in your list, do
> > you mean it has been solved in the current HEAD (2.91) or in any
> > older version?
[…]
> In cases where I have listed the bug as "fixed" or "fixed upstream" it
> indicates the issue is solved in the current development branch of
> sysvinit. In this case it's the 2.92 branch, which will likely reach
> a stable state around the start of 2019.

This appears to be a bit late for Debian Buster, at least when I look at
the freeze timeline¹.

I also wonder about the Debian bug reports. As far as I remember, you,
Jesse, as upstream are not going to close them. I agree with this.
However, who else will close them? One way is of course, so close bugs
that have fixed upstream with changelog entries with "Closes: #nnnn".
There could be a section in the changelog which bugs the new version,
2.9.1 or 2.9.2 at a later time closes. I have seen this in quite some
changelogs.

And what would be the process for other bugs which are elsewhere or not
valid or whatever? I can help with closing some of them, but I did not
have anything to do with maintenance of sysvinit package in Debian
before and would not like to step on anyone's toes.

So or so I am very happy about this wonderful constructive collaboration
between Debian and Devuan and Upstream. Thank you.

[1] https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

Thanks,
--
Martin