distorted.org.uk upgrade status
- Started upgrade of radius. This is a relatively simple machine,
so I'm doing it first to find out how minimally difficult each
machine is going to be.
- That was a disaster. Notes: check grub is upgraded before
rebooting, because otherwise everything goes very wrong indeed;
watch for BIRD clobbering its config files with broken symlinks.
- This will take a year, so I've started nine upgrades at once...
- Brilliant. The libvirt packaging has been quietly
changed, with the result that halfway through fender's upgrade
something decided to suspend all its guests, and then replace the
KVM machinery with a new version which didn't understand the save
files. Reboots all round. (Sorry, Nicko.)
- The backup failed. Apparently creating LVM snapshots deadlocks
immediately on stretch, because udev isn't started at boot,
because some script thinks it's `running in a container', because
ps failed rather than producing output, because now it depends on
some library in /usr and /usr isn't mounted in
initramfs, because the idiot mount command in initramfs
doesn't understand the relatime option. Words fail.
- More BIRD fun: it doesn't run unless /run/bird exists.
It has to be created each time the machine boots. Guess who
creates it. Come on: guess. If you said `nobody', give yourself
- I mean, it's not all a total disaster. Some things are better
now. dpkg prints its name in bold. So at least I have