Adelaide University Science Fiction Association Constitution
The name of the association shall be the Adelaide University Science Fiction
- 2.1 "Association" shall mean the Adelaide University Science Fiction Association.
- 2.2 "CA" shall mean the Clubs Association of the Adelaide University Union.
- 2.3 "Union" shall mean the Adelaide University Union.
- 2.4 "Committee" shall mean the Committee of the Association.
- 2.5 "Executive" shall mean the President, Vice President, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer.
- 2.6 "Council" shall mean the council of the Association.
The objects of the Association shall be:
- 3.1 To promote interest in Science Fiction and Fantasy;
- 3.2 To produce a magazine on behalf of the Association;
- 3.3 To establish and maintain a library for the use of members;
- 3.4 To encourage contact and discussion among members;
- 3.5 To contact and establish relationships with other similar organisations;
- 3.6 To initiate such activities as shall from time to time be deemed desirable, provided that such activities shall not be contrary to this Constitution or the Constitution and Regulations of the CA
The Association shall be affiliated with the CA.
5. Honours of the Association:
- 5.1 The Association may at the AGM, elect to the Fellowship such persons as have furthered in an exceptional manner the aims and objects of the Association.
- 5.2 The Association may at the AGM, elect to Honorary Life Membership such persons as have given outstanding service to the Association.
- 6.1 Full Membership shall be open to all membes of the academic staff, graudates and undergraduates, who are members of the Union, and they shall be classed as Full Members upon payment of the Association membership fee.
- 6.2 Associate Membership shall be open to all other persons, and they shall be classed as Associate Members upon payment of the Association Membership fee.
- 6.3 In this Constitution:
- 6.3.1 "Voting Member" shall mean a member who is a Full Member or a Fellow or an Honorary Life Member:
- 6.3.2 "Non Voting Member" shall mean a member who is an Associate Member.
- 6.3.3 "Member" shall mean a member who is either a Voting Member or a Non-Voting Member.
The Committee shall consist of:
- 7.1 The Immediate Past President who shall be an ex-officio voting member of the Committee.
- 7.2 The following members who shall be elected to the committee at the AGM:
- 7.2.1 President
- 7.2.2 Vice President
- 7.2.3 Honorary Secretary
- 7.2.4 Honorary Treasurer
- 7.2.5 Sufficient members that the committee shall have ten (10) voting members including the delegates of the Association to the CA for the following calendar year.
- 7.3 All the above members must be Voting Members at the time of their election or co-option to the committee.
The Council of the Association shall consist of the Executive, the Committee, and all the Officers of both the Association and the Committee and it shall advise upon those matters which concern the Association.
9. Powers and Duties of the Committee:
- 9.1 The Committee shall abide by the Constitution and Regulations of the CA as applied to Clubs and Societies.
- 9.2 The Committee shall at all times be subject to decisions of a General Meeting of the Association.
- 9.3 The Committee shall have the power to make Regulations necessary to put into effect this Constitution, provided such Regulations are not inconsistent with the Objects of the Association.
- 9.4 The Committee shall have the power to conduct activities in the name of the Association, and shall be responsible for arranging all the activities of the Association.
- 9.5 The Committee shall have the power to fill in any casual vacany created during its term of office, following the AGM, subject to confirmation at a General Meeting of the Association.
- 9.6 The Committee shall elect such officers as shall from time to time be deemed necessary, to include a Magazine Editor and Librarian from among themselves and a Minutes Secretary.
10. Powers and Duties of the Executive:
- 10.1 The Executive shall have the power to make recommendations to the Committee.
- 10.2 The Executive shall have the power to act in an emergency without first obtaining approval of the Committee, such action to be reported to the next meeting of the Committee, provided that the Committee may dissent with the decision of the Executive.
- 10.3 The Treasurer shall receive allmonies from subscriptions or other sources and shall disburse same for, or on account of, the Association. He shall deposit such funds in a bank account opened in the name of the Association.
11. Termination of Membership of the Association:
- 11.1 Any member of the Association may be expelled, suspended or otherwise penalised by a resolution passed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Committee, subject to ratification at the next General Meeting, ifin the opinion of the Committee, that person has been guilty of conduct in any manner detrimental to the interest of the Association.
- 11.2 Any member of the Association shall cease to be a member upon receipt by the Honorary Secretary of a written notice of resignation signed by such member.
12. Termination of Membership of the Committee:
A member of the Committee shall cease to be a memer on the occurrence of any of the following:
- 12.1 Upon acceptance by the Committee of a written notice of resignation signed by such member;
- 12.2 Upon ceasing to be a member of the Association;
- 12.3 Upon absence from three (3) consecutive Committee meetings without leave granted by the Committee.
- 13.1 The term of office shall begin on a date, within four (4) weeks of the AGM agreed upon by the President and the President Elect.
- 13.2 The Committee shall meet at least once a month during the academic year.
- 13.3 The minimum number for a Committee meeting shall be four (4) members.
14. General Meeting:
- 14.1 Only Voting Members of the Association shall be eligible to vote in any election of the Association.
- 14.2 Proxy votes and absentee votes shall not be admitted at any meetong ofthe Association.
- 14.3 Any General Meeting of the Association shall abide by the Standing Orders and Rules of Debate used by the Committee.
- 14.4 The quorom for any General Meeting of the Association shall be fifteen (15) Voting Members.
15. Annual General Meeting:
- 15.1 An Annual General Meeting shall be held before the fourth (4th) week of first term for the following purposes:
- 15.11 To receive reports of the years activities
- 15.12 To receive the audited financial statement (the financial year ending not more than two (2) weeks before the AGM)
- 15.13 To elect members of the Committee as specified under clause 7.2 above
- 15.14 To discuss any other business duly brought before the meeting.
- 15.2 In the event of insufficient nominations being received at the AGM, the Committee shall have the power to fill any vacany by co-option, subject to ratification by a General Meeting of the Association.
- 15.3 Voting for the elections at the AGM shall be by secret ballot or show of hands at the discretion of the Returning Officer.
- 15.4 Voting for President, Vice-president, Honorary Secretary, and Honorary Treasurer shall be by the preferential system.
- 15.5 The Committee shall elect from themselves a member to act as Returning Officer for the purpose of conducting the elections at the AGM.
- 15.6 Notice of the AGM shall be posted in the Union Buildings of the University of Adelaide at least fourteen (14) calendar days before the date of holding of same.
16. Special General Meeting:
Special General Meetings of the Association shall be convened by the Secretary and shall be held:
- 16.1 When called for by the President
- 16.2 At such times as the Committee shall see fit
- 16.3 Within ten (10) academic days of receipt by the Honorary Secretary of written request from ten (10) Voting Members of the Association. The request shall state the exact form in which the questions are to be put. The quorom for such meetings must include at least seven (7) of the petitioning members.
17. Membership Fee:
- 17.1 The Association membership Fee shall be two dollars ($2) for each calendar year
- 17.2 Membership shall terminate on April 30th of each year.
18. Interpretation of Constitution:
- 18.1 The interpretation of this Constitution shall lie with the President or his deputy duly appointed provided that a meeting may dissent with the Chairman's ruling.
- 18.2 In the event of a sitution arising which is not covered by this Constitution, the Committee shall act in what in considers to be the best interests of the Association. Such action shall be subject to confirmation by the next General Meeting of the Association.
19. Alteration of Constitution:
This Constitution shall only be altered by a two-thirds majority of Voting Members attending any General Meeting. Notice of any proposed alteration shall be posted by the Committee in the Union Buildings of the University of Adelaide at least seven (7) days before the GM at which it is to be submitted for approval.
The Trustees of the trust fund set up in the event of the demise of the Association shall be the last Patron of the Association, the Honorary Treasurer of the Union and the Warden of the Union.
This Constitution shall take effect and be deemed enacted as from the time of adoption by the Annual General Meeting of the Association.
RCS Information [$Id: constitution.html,v 1.2 1996/02/28 01:39:27 duncan Exp $]