Age verification

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at jisc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 18:01:16 GMT 2016

I'm pretty sure someone years ago produced a card that could be used as face-to-face proof of over-18ness and nothing else. Sadly my google skills aren’t up to finding it but maybe others can. One (chip) end of the card was placed in a reader on the bar, other was held by the individual and checked their fingerprint. Reader lights up (probably red/green - since I'm colourblind that part wasn’t obvious) and you get, or don't, your drink.

"All" that was needed to complete that system was a trusted (by the pub) issuing process to ensure that only over-18s could link their fingerprint to a card with that process also being trusted (by the user) not to record/disclose identity.

Online there are a lot more challenges, most obviously that everyone has to have a reader, that that reader has to be trusted even in the hands of owners who would like to make it lie, etc. And with either type of system you have to know in advance what question you want to ask, and ensure that "I forgot the card" gives the right answer. But I suspect the technology is the easy bit...

Andrew