Age verification

Mark Lomas ukcrypto at absent-minded.com
Fri Dec 2 20:43:07 GMT 2016

A temporary secret is insufficient because an adult can give such a secret
to a child, similar to asking your older brother to buy you some cigarettes.

Of the examples you give, only two are amenable to solution - nightclub
entry and local alcohol sales. I can imagine a tamper-proof device that
contains a biometric reader, accepts remote attestations (e.g. from my
bank), confirms a customer's age but does not otherwise identify them.

I deliberately say 'local' because if you offer a remote service it is open
to the older brother attack.

Mark