Cahoot

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Wed May 6 21:50:03 BST 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 17:41, Francis Davey <fjmd1a at gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies if this is a stupid question, but someone might be able to give
> me some perspective.
>
> If I navigate to https://www.cahoot.com, Chrome seems less than happy. It
> complains about the cryptographic technology being obsolete and also that
> the site does not possess a public key certificate (if I am interpreting
> correctly). The icon it displays suggests a fairly qualified acceptance of
> the site.
>
> If I then click on the log in button I am sent to securebank.cahoot.com for
> which Chrome has other (but slightly different) complaints. Also: in the
> process a window very briefly appears and then vanishes again (which is
> always unsettling).
>
> Is it safe for me to go forward and enter my security details to access my
> account, or should I contact the bank and ask them to fix it (or rather to
> wait in their customer service queue to be told "no" after much
> incomprehension I suspect).
>
> Thoughts? I am keen not to have my bank account hacked.

Clearly the question is not stupid: why present information that is
not useful to you.

The most obvious problem with that site is they're using MD5, which
everyone agrees is past its sell-by. But obviously end users are
completely oblivious to.

There may be other problems, the warning is less than clear. And I
know what I'm talking about, mostly!