Transaction data stored on Contactless Credit Cards

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 20:07:43 BST 2014

Roland,

TfL (and you) cannot write anything to a basic credit or debit card
issued by your bank.

Please don't get confused with prepaid bank issued cards of the sort
that are a store of value. Or with ITSO spec cards that can have prepaid
travel tokens loaded onto them (those tokens are known as Stored Travel
Rights in ITSO speak). TfL is not currently accepting ITSO cards but
might in the near future accept ITSO spec ENCTS [1] bus passes at Oyster
readers (at the moment we just wave the cards as we get on the bus in
London, or show them to an inspector).

Peter Tomlinson

[1] English National Concessiionary Travel scheme, implemented on
English buses outside London (Scotland and Wales have their own
equivalent schemes).