BBCR4 on Crypto-wars today at 13:30

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Tue Mar 25 21:51:23 GMT 2014

On 25 Mar 2014, at 03:41, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> I just read of an idea, I don't know who by, about making RSA keys shorter - choose the first prime at random, then choose the second prime so that the first 2n/3 bits of n are some fixed, shared value.

As someone else mentioned,

http://joye.site88.net/papers/Joy08rsacompr.pdf

In 2014, however, is a limiting factor on adoption of encryption really the difference between RSA keys fitting in 86 bytes rather than 256 bytes (as the abstract claims)?  I'm sure there are use-cases where this matters, but it doesn't seem like a terribly common problem.

ian