BBCR4 on Crypto-wars today at 13:30

Caspar Bowden (lists) lists at casparbowden.net
Tue Mar 18 10:25:44 GMT 2014

On 03/17/14 15:52, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> "The Levinson case goes to the heart of a fundamental clash between
> two opposing sides - there are those who want our electronic
> communications to be entirely private, so that absolutely no-one apart
> from the recipient can know what's benig said. Set against them are
> those who think the State should be able to get access, for instance
> when it says it's investigating crime or protecting national security.
>
> I think that's it in a nutshell - and on that basis, with the demands
> for keys in RIPA we lost the crypto wars in the UK.

The trouble is that states the problem without the context of the UK
being in forefront to neutralize civilian crypto last 20 years, and the
drawbacks and hinterland of every policy option

> BTW, why do you think the Darkmail effort is doomed? I kinda agree,
> but I'd like to know what you think.

I don't know what they are doing, but shouldn't trust crypto against
decryption powers unless trust platform+binary+source+keymat resilient
to those powers

Confidentiality is orthogonal to what an email service provider can
provide (but a special network service might provide anonymity)

CB