Off topic: DPA question

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Tue Jun 17 10:47:09 BST 2014

<grin/> I've both read it and heard about it from Adrian over dinner!

Since the law for individual subscribers is that they can only be sent unsolicited advertising material after they have taken some positive action ("soft opt-in"), it seems logical to me that the sender must know either that someone isn't an IS, or that they are and have taken the required action. Otherwise you simply re-create an opt-out (as for phone or text marketing) where it's OK to spam someone until they tell you that they are an IS.

>From a quick look at the ICO's 'what we are doing' pages, it doesn't seem as if they've done any enforcement specifically on e-mails yet (either under the PECR or DPA). The actions I see mentioned either related to sending phone or SMS to people who have actively opted out by joining TPS, or to processing personal data without being registered with the ICO.

And as far as I recall the successful private actions have been for not ceasing processing when ordered to, so again avoiding this unclear area of law.

Andrew