Data retention question

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 29 11:57:40 BST 2014

In article <20140725204831.5984402.49254.495 at gmail.com>,
bakeryworms at gmail.com writes
>'if only it was that simple'
>No, it's not - it should start with a suspicion of criminal activity
>and go from there. Not start with a presumption.

Is the Inland Revenue presuming you are a tax dodger when they ask you
to keep paperwork for seven years? Shouldn't they just ask people they
have suspicion about.

Much of the data retention stuff originates in long standing consumer
protection law that regards it as appropriate for telcos to keep billing
records (in case of disputes) for three billing periods, at a time when
a lot of billing was quarterly.

The lack of per-transaction billing for a lot of Internet activity does
rather break that analogy though. But then there's investigations into
'abuse' to take into account.

I often find that people who have had something bad happen to them are
less tolerant of the excuse that "there's nothing we can do, because as
far as we are concerned it never happened".

R.