Data retention question

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Jul 25 19:43:29 BST 2014

On 25 Jul 2014, at 18:58, Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In article <32CE680C-2BC0-406D-82B8-535D61D10D29 at batten.eu.org>, Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>>> The shorter time you keep logs for, the less chance of determining either the cause or impact of breaches of privacy such as Target.
>>
>> On the other hand, the longer you keep logs for, the greater chance there is a having a breach of privacy, because the logs themselves are a
>> target.  That trade-off is something that the subjects of the logs should be involved in.
>
> I assume any criminals using the Internet would vote for a short/zero retention time. "Wild West" doesn't even begin to describe the consequences.
> --

"Criminals would like that" is not universal knock-down argument.  Cameras in every
bedroom would reduce domestic violence.  You don't have to be a defender of violent
abusers to think that it isn't an appropriate response.

It's not enough to assert that a course of action would be popular with criminals.  You
have to also show that the unintended consequences don't outweigh the benefits.

ian