Data retention question

Caspar Bowden (lists) lists at casparbowden.net
Fri Jul 25 14:15:48 BST 2014

On 07/25/14 15:00, Andrew Cormack wrote:
> [...]

Nobody forced customers to use Target, but most users have no choice in
JANET-type provider. Running a comms service (public or private) entails
obligations of comms data minimization against which
security/availability of the service are factors to be weighed against
(not trumping) privacy.

The public still doesn't realize that little stitch-ups legitimating
retention like this go way back to France's era, under the deluded
collective premise that a public benefit was being served, rather than
damn-nearly-fatal erosion of a fundamental right.

CB