Data retention question

AO Forum Email james2 at jfirth.net
Mon Jul 21 09:11:44 BST 2014

I don't know if anyone caught my blog on the subject but I noticed that DRIP
was notified to Europe last week under the Authorisation Directive, since it
constitutes a technical measure that will affect cross-border supply of
telecommunications services.

http://www.sroc.eu/2014/07/emergency-data-retention-legislation.html

This is interesting because in practice the EC Trade and Industry body is
being asked to rubber-stamp legislation that replaces EU legislation that
the ECtHR has struck down.

The timetable will be interesting. Usually it's a 3-month notification
period to allow interested parties to comment (and other member states to
raise objections) but some discussion on Twitter indicated an "emergency"
timetable is allowed under Article 9 ss7 of the Authorisation Directive
(98/34/EC):
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:1998:204:0037:004
8:EN:PDF

It will be interesting to see if this leads to a stand-off with govt and UK
politicians claiming Europe is blocking emergency laws needed to tackle
terrorists.

In fact it will be interesting to see whether the UK government claims this
law is active or not once Royal Assent has been granted. Maybe the 3-month
notification window is why Government decided to rush it through before
summer recess?

Also I would be interested to know how much capability would be lost if DRIP
stalled. TSPs could lose some extraneous data but one assumes billing data
and many email logs etc would be retained.

And retained, "legitimately", under DPA, claiming necessary for e.g.
security (who accessed my account and when), spam filter tuning, billing
records, etc - plus all the location data Application Service Providers like
to keep to tune their targeted advertising profiles, etc.

But my suspicion is the vast bulk of data requested by police forces would
remain available. Who texted whom, etc.

James Firth