Data retention directive "invalid"

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Apr 12 12:12:23 BST 2014

In article <48CD028A501A45BEB16D41DCEAF60BF2 at MaryPC>, Mary Hawking
<maryhawking at tigers.demon.co.uk> writes
>I'm getting a bit confused.
>I have a Home Office contract with Demon:

Oh, very good.

>as far as I know there is no volume restriction.
>Why does Demon need to keep any traffic data on my use of this service -

Traffic data is where to/from, generally, rather than the quantity.

Although the ISP I migrated away from this week was definitely
monitoring my usage of email in case I was a spammer. The volume of data
was unlimited, but I could only send something like 500 emails a day.

>apart from requirements from the Home Office?

It's possible Demon might also be monitoring email traffic data (not the
contents) as part of a wider anti-abuse policy, and also to be able to
answer questions like "why wasn't that email I sent yesterday
delivered". But I have no recent information about that sort of thing.

Then there's the difference between "Unlimited", "truly Unlimited" and
"completely Unlimited - apart from a fair use policy". Sorry, I made
that last one up.