Data retention directive "invalid"

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Tue Apr 8 17:05:08 BST 2014

The post-9/11 stuff is UK primary legislation - the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001. As far as I can see that would need a UK court to declare incompatibility under the Human Rights Act. That's the normal way UK primary legislation is challenged. Until Parliament responds to a declaration by amending the law, ATCSA will stay.

But (many thanks to Francis for pointing this out, even though my audible gasp produced surprise in the conference I'm attending!) the 2007/9 Regulations are *secondary* legislation, created under s2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972. That allows:
"any designated Minister or department may by order, rules, regulations or scheme , make provision-
(a)for the purpose of implementing any EU obligation of the United Kingdom"

So the question on the Regs is whether removing the "EU obligation" means that the implementing Regulations created under s2(2) also disappear automatically. I'm pretty sure that's a question of legislative procedure (the ECA itself appears to be silent on the question), rather than Human Rights Law. And I've no idea whether there's any precedent...

Andrew
--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet