BBC News - 'Fresh proposals' planned over cyber-monitoring

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Wed May 22 00:03:09 BST 2013

On 21/05/13 08:15, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <518CB006.8000604 at iosis.co.uk>, Peter Tomlinson
> <pwt at iosis.co.uk> writes
>> Report about that on Out-Law:
>>
>> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/may/individuals-can-be-identifie
>> d-despite-ip-address-sharing-bt-says/
>>
>> Individuals can be identified despite IP address sharing, BT says
>>
>> The use of Internet Protocol (IP) address sharing technology will not
>> prevent individuals from being identified as the perpetrators of
>> illegal online activity, BT has claimed.09 May 2013
>>
>> The internet service provider (ISP) has announced that it is currently
>> piloting technology called Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation
>> (CGNAT) that will see as many as nine different customers share the
>> same IP address.
>
> And an article looking more deeply into the technical details of CGNs,
> in this context:
>
> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2013-05/cgns.html

Hmmm - suppose I download a game which takes an hour (or a day) to play,
and want to see the result. Will the ISP keep the 5-tuple NAT active?

Of course throwaway dongles, unsecured WIFI, free public wifi, TOR, and
so on need no mention here. But I wonder if Her Majesty knows about them?

Does anyone know the history of how and why telephone logs became fair
game for Plod?

I mean. it's not obvious that Plod should have pretty much unrestricted
access to comms data logs anyway.

Even then there is a big difference between telephone logs and internet
logs, which are much more revealing.

-- Peter Fairbrother