Doormat argument about Voicemail dismissed by Court of Appeal

Laurence Taylor laurence at iapetus.plus.com
Mon Jul 1 23:09:44 BST 2013

In message <1276F98B-AE2D-4B2A-8040-0F5470BA18A5 at batten.eu.org>
   Ian Batten writes:

> What proportion of email users are still using POP3 and downloading a
> local copy?  Single figure percent, I would suspect, compared to the
> vast majority who are using webmail of some sort, and the geekerati who
> might be using IMAP4.  It implies a model of usage --- a single device
> with substantial local storage, talking to a remote server with limited
> storage --- which simply doesn't apply today.

It might not apply technologically, but it certainly works
practically.

I download all my email by POP3 and it sits on my Pc until I've
finished with it. I find webmail a pain; I have to put up with
whatever interface the company provide and options for copying,
saving, filing, etc. are limited. And it relies on being
connected.

IMAP is a but better, but still relies on a connection to the
other end which might have failed. A few months ago, my phone line
failed because the cable broke. I could still read the emails I
had downloaded and write replies to them!

rgds
LAurence
<><
... You wearing a toupe or is that a tribble on your head?
~~~ Tag-O-Matic V.13F