ICO penalties for not encrypting sensitive personal data

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 14:26:39 GMT 2012

 From material and people dug up by Smartex over the years, some time
ago the police decided that the bank card payment system is so prone to
problems that they were not prepared to be the first port of call for
aggrieved people. Not that the police have completely abdicated, they
just want the serious incidents passed on, and they are also pro-active
- for example a year or so ago a gang was "cashing out" in the early
morning at ATMs in Bristol's central shopping area, an operator of a
private 24 hour CCTV service spotted it, called the police, and a big
gang was rounded up (they had counterfeit bank cards). That lady who
used to represent the banks kept on assuring us (her manner on TV
reminded me of "She only does it to annoy...") kept on assuring us that
things were getting better [1].

But then came PCI DSS, which I believe means that merchants have to have
their payment engine certified compliant in order to comply with their
banking contract. So I don't think that running a non-compliant payment
site is a criminal offence if the owner doesn't steal money or otherwise
defraud the visitor, but the bankers will want to shut it down. And
Trading Standards might be interested, but in which geographical
jurisdiction will they decide to get involved?

Peter

[1] She is now Chief Exec of Energy UK. Actually the correct text is "He
only...".