help

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:46:02 BST 2012

2012/3/30 Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org>:

> I'm not sure that's relevant. If the work was old enough that you can
> expect copyright to have expired, this would apply. But with nearly all
> downloads the question is whether you have an implicit licence to make the
> copy, not whether there's copyright at all - copyright is automatic in
> nearly all written works.

Exactly so. There's no "ignorance" defence to the tort of copyright
infringement *except* for this one which only applies to works you had
no idea were in copyright at all. Since almost everything except
really old, long-published works, is subject to copyright, it is much
less useful than it appears at first sight.

The internet is a big copyright infringement machine.

--
Francis Davey