https - hopefully not too stupid a question

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:13:15 BST 2012

On 17 Jun 2012, at 22:27, Florian Weimer wrote:

> IPv6 does not mean that the network will provision multiple addresses
> to you.  You will still have to pay extra for that.

Actually it's exactly the point; over on ORG-discuss an ISP guy who does this says:

> Most ISP's will be assigning IPv6 addresses by prefix,
> RIPE suggests /56, or in the smallest instance /64. Although machines
> can choose their own address from that range, the prefix will be the
> same, so the assigning ISP only has to log the prefix that user has
> been assigned (and the times it has been assigned), which is not
> significantly more difficult or space consuming that logging the
> assignment of IPv4 addresses.
>
> Disclosure: I recently implemented the IPv6 assignment and logging
> back-end system for the ISP I work for.

…and...

> The ISP I work for will be assigning /56's, or in some cases a /64.
> RIPE guidlines say a /64 is the smallest assignment that can be made
> to an end user.

…which will give each user's home 2^64 reachable IP addresses.

Of course the ISP is free to charge what they like for this service, but the suggestion is that NAT goes away and every device in your home is will be internet-reachable unless filtered/firewalled.

	-a