latest plans to monitor internet use in the UK

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jun 15 09:58:14 BST 2012

In article <D6D45A55-6888-42C4-94F8-6F60F7CC795A at batten.eu.org>, Ian
Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>Draft legislation here:
>
>http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm83/8359/8359.pdf

Looks like "RIPA Part 2 Chapter 2" v2.0 for disclosure, but doesn't go
beyond the Data Retention Directive's existing scope for gathering the
data. The TAB's role is extended to include comms data gathering as well
as interception.

All the same arguments as for RIPA comms data apply (dust off those
12-year-old briefing papers now!) I enjoyed taking the lead for UK
industry back then, this time I suppose I'll be watching from the
sidelines.

ps. The "filtering" stuff seems to be a very complex way of delivering
the underlying concept[1] behind "everything up to the first single
slash in a url" which begat the tailpiece in RIPA 21(6).

[1] Where to put the line in the sand between content and comms data,
given that there's no obvious concrete in which to install an armco
barrier.