Remote access to patient records and security of android apps

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 13 00:15:14 GMT 2012

Hi Mary

I am not familiar with "SystemOne", and it is not clear from the article
what the Android application would be used for. Clearly managing one's
calendar, accessing email or editing patient notes have different
confidentiality issues.

In principle an Android tablet could access a smartcard, as the SIM card in
an Android phone is a form of Smartcard - but I have not noticed any tablet
computers advertised with Smartcard slot. Also some Android phones are
starting to have NFC (Near Field Communications) interfaces that could talk
to Smartcards that work wirelessly (similar to an Oyster card).

I am also concerned about how whether the data is securely encrypted when
sent over the the WiFi or 3G data network.

Regards,
Tony