Buckinghamshire CC ANPR cameras

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Wed Jan 11 23:38:21 GMT 2012

On 11 Jan 2012, at 1710, Roland Perry wrote:

> In article <CAJ0hfot=_zg6GNjj-ipxapq4GV8Tjm_yaY3ZhPo8-aX3VNTckw at mail.gmail.com>, "k.brown at bbk.ac.uk" <k.brown at bbk.ac.uk> writes
>> As to whether its legal or justified to keep such data, there is, I
>> assume, no law against anyone standing at the side of the road and
>> jotting down registration numbers on a pad. Or storing them in a
>> computer.
>
> Under a personal use exemption, perhaps. But otherwise it's processing personal data and would require compliance with DPA.

I realise this stuff is meat and drink to you, Roland, but I'd like to see some evidence that the registration plates on cars driving past my house are personal data.  Whose?  And why?

> “personal data” means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified—
> (a)from those data, or
> (b)from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,

A car index mark relates to individuals, but clearly doesn't pass test (a), and test (b) isn't met for an individual, and would be a matter for debate about the governance associated with DVLA lookups if the processing is being done by the government.

ian