Buckinghamshire CC ANPR cameras

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jan 9 17:53:58 GMT 2012

In article
<CAJkBBXXgep9Ojt8MBPZOuE+fJHbQ2wm=55N6HM7Fu3u1JOYc8Q at mail.gmail.com>,
John Wilson <tugwilson at gmail.com> writes
>I can see that there my well be significant
>advantage for a planner to have access to detailed travel information
>over an extended period of time. My problem is that this is
>effectively personal data and they are using sleight of hand to deny
>that and hence dodge their responsibility for handling it carefully.

Is it enough that the planners [presumably] don't have a tool to turn
the hashed data into real cars (so they can for example spy on
ex-girlfriends) or is it the danger that 3rd parties involved in more
serious data leaks (legal or otherwise) potentially aided by specific
attacks on the hashing, which is the bigger concern?