Buckinghamshire CC ANPR cameras

John Wilson tugwilson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:37:11 GMT 2012

On 7 January 2012 16:27, Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In article
> <CAJkBBXX+OxCr+LxFaGo5gT+92=H6haoEXf5m6XmarC_H+h8bhg at mail.gmail.com>, John
> Wilson <tugwilson at gmail.com> writes
>

>> It seems the Highways Agency keeps their traffic data for ever
>> http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/21002.aspx
>

> That explains one mystery (assuming they are telling the truth) which is why
> the police don't use data from those cameras to do useful things for the
> general public, like trace stolen cars.

In Buckinghamshire the police get a full data feed from the Council's
cameras which includes the actual registration number.

I'm trying to find a good formulation for an FoI request about these hashes.

I'm thinking about something along the lines of "Given 1 million
random, valid GB registration numbers what's the probability that two
will produce same hash value"

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

In Holland they appear to use MD5
http://albertdeklein.nl/2011/03/13/dude-where-is-my-car/