What is a "communication"

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 12:23:13 BST 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 04:38:55 +0100, Peter Fairbrother
<zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

>> You probably can't have it both ways - my webserver is not a person. Or
>> is it?

I don't see why not. How does it differ from Plod's filter that we
discussed earlier? Bother are just apparatuses that handle communications
and pass them on as directed, possibly with modifications.

> Missed a bit here - I was thinking of me placing something on the 'net
> by ftp'ing it to mywebserver, and whether that ftp is a communication in
> RIPA terms, and therefore interceptable.
>
> mywebsever is (allegedly) at an ISP who do not look at the content
> therein, but for the sake of argument suppose it is a physical server in
> in my London flat (I wish).
>

> I think it may not be a communication, as it does not have an intended
> recipient - except perhaps me, as the server operator, as opposed to me,
> as the sender?

Of course it is a communication. The fact that you have connected to port
21 on your server is Traffic Data, and it you do it supiciously often,
then I don't think Plod would have any difficulty persuading the SOS to
issue a warrant to intercept it.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.