What is a "communication" (was Re: sorry, but ...

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 16:39:53 BST 2012

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:24:06 +0100, Caspar Bowden (travelling)
<tharg at gmx.net> wrote:

>> How do we extend that theory to the situation where there are many
>> receivers in many countries,
>
> In ***theory***, it should be that if all the recipients are inside the
> UK, then it's internal, but if at least one intended recipient is
> outside UK, then its external, but...

I would have expected exactly the opposite.

If the message is from Alice (known to be in the UK, and easily shown to
be such) via Facebook to Bob (who happens to be in the UK) and Others
(outside the UK, and probably a bunch of villains) then if "they"
intercept the message on its way to Facebook without warrant, they have
intercepted a message from Alice to Bob, which is not allowed. End of
story AFAICS.

If "they" imagine that they are intecepting messages from Alice to the
villains, they have neverthelsss intercepted Alice to Bob (because the
same message is sent to all of them). They can't pretend they have read
the body of the message to the villains but carefully omitted to read the
message to Bob, unless they are wearing glasses with some very peculiar
filters in them indeed.

There is an onus on "them" not to break the law - how they avoid that is
their problem but, in this case the technology is definitely against them.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.