impressive health dataloss

Roger Hayter roger at hayter.org
Wed Jun 15 13:04:03 BST 2011

In message <BANLkTikBDtP5CmcurVXDRxHWkK0Qf5bSmg at mail.gmail.com>, Michael
Simpson <mikie.simpson at gmail.com> writes
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/15/eight_million_health_records/
>
> Even in these post-sony days 8+million health records ("anonymised"
>but still containing age and postcode) going missing is quite
>staggering.
> Someone needs to tell DoH that simple putting a password on a laptop
>without whole disk encryption is not a barrier to using rainbow tables
>to ascertain said password yet it is still trooped out as the first
>line of the "it will be ok" statement from the guilty.
>
>mike

The sale of such "anonymised" databases to researchers (which might
include multinational pharmaceutical companies) is, of course, one
reason why some of us are not keen on the idea that the DoH should be
able to use our health information for such purposes without individual
consent.
--

Roger Hayter